Grandfather Tree

Now having come to understand that we are all spiritual beings who have chosen to temporarily live a physical existence on this planet, certain musings are inevitable, and shared here.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Recovery Poem

My 11 year old daughter was reading poetry to me this morning before school from a wonderful book by Shel Silverstein and I was very struck by one:

Morgan’s Curse
By Shel Silverstein

Followin’ the trail on the old treasure map,
I came to the spot that said “Dig right here.”
And four feet down my spade struck wood
Just where the map said a chest would appear.
But carved in the side were written these words:
“A curse upon he who disturbs this gold.”
Signed, Morgan the Pirate, Scourge of the Seas.
I read these words and my blood ran cold.
So here I sit upon untold wealth
Tryin’ to figure which is worse:
How much do I need this gold?
And how much do I need this curse?

For those readers who are in recovery or who know someone who is, I know that returning to the addiction looks and smells like a treasure for the moment; "untold wealth" it is to feel high again, to have that brief but unmistakable feeling of letting go, or peace from the pain, of distraction from this crazy world. I am much impressed by the narrator of the poem who allows himself/herself to sit and consider the choice, and I invite you to do so as well.

And blessings to you, dear Shel, wherever you are in the other realms, I am sure you are still sharing your artistic self.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home