Grandfather Tree

Now having come to understand that we are all spiritual beings who have chosen to temporarily live a physical existence on this planet, certain musings are inevitable, and shared here.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Guard Against All Evil?

From Bush' State of the Union speech:
Each of us is guided by our own convictions, and to these we must stay faithful. Yet we’re all held to the same standards, and called to serve the same good purposes: to extend this nation’s prosperity; to spend the people’s money wisely; to solve problems, not leave them to future generations; to guard America against all evil; and to keep faith with those we have sent forth to defend us.


Government's job is to guard America against all evil?

I must confess that for a long time I have disliked the "Lord's Prayer." I have prayed it much in my youth. I have studied it much in my adulthood. I honestly don't find it to be a very helpful prayer. The part that puzzles me most about it is the part where we ask our heavenly faher to please not lead us into temptation but instead to deliver us from evil. Does this mean that we generally expect our god to purposely lead us into temptation? And we have to pray to him to please don't do that? And instead, to deliver us from evil?

I feel much better now that I have discovered that my government will guard me against all evil. The same government that thinks perhaps torture ought to be permitted under certain circumstances. What a relief. [2609]

1 Comments:

  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Wally Nut said…

    I just realized that my last couple of posts have been a bit more sarcastic than usual. I'll have to think about that

     

Post a Comment

<< Home